Wow, how do people (like my hard-working sister-in-law) put out a blog posting every day? For me, another long hiatus in blog posting. The excuse is moving out and into houses. Since the beginning of the year, we have been looking for a house with minimal steps that will make aging in place and Parkinson’s easier to manage.
April and May have been a blur as we:
1) Closed on a new house (April 4)
2) Visited relatives in Michigan (2nd wk of April). (Look for a future column on what’s happening in Grand Rapids!)
3) Had contractor rodeos all April to whip new house into shape (definitely not move-in ready, 30 years of deferred maintenance done in three weeks)
4) Frantically packed the old house.
5) Even more frantically moved boxes and fragile items in the few days between when the garage, carpet, and painting were done in new house and when the movers arrived.
6) Official moving day: May 3.
7) Oversaw contractor work on old house.
8) Held a garage sale.
9) Cleaned the old house and attempted to remove every last object. Amazing what 20 years’ accumulation amounts to.
10) Listed old house: May 15.
11) Etc…Still all sorts of little tasks on the new house.
No ill effects from Parkinson’s, despite the fact I haven’t had time to properly exercise. Soon I will return to regular blog postings. In the meantime, let’s have a shoutout to military families who do moving like this all the time!